How to restore the IIS Metabase
Find and restore a good copy of the metabase. There are three possible locations for these backup copies:
- Use the Find feature to do a search for the Metabase.bin.bak file in the WinntSystem32Inetsrv folder.
- If the Metabase.bin.bak file is not found, search for a Metabase.bak in the WinntSystem32Inetsrv.
- If Metabase.bin.bak is still not found, locate an offline copy.
When you locate a good backup copy of Metabase.bin, proceed to the following steps to restore the metabase:
- At the command prompt, type the following command to stop the Web services:
Net Stop IISADMIN /Y
- In the WinntSystem32Inetsrv folder, find and rename the Metabase.bin file to Metabase.old.
- Rename Metabase.bin.bak or Metabase.bin (whichever was detected) to Metabase.bin
- At the command prompt, attempt to start the World Wide Services by using the following commands:
Net Start W3SVC
Net Start MSFTPSVC
Net Start MSSMTPSVC
Net Start MSNNTPSVC
If these steps do not resolve the problem, you can restore Metabase.bin from an offline tape backup.
NOTE: When you restore from a backup file, configuration information can be lost depending on the age of the backup copy. You can verify how old the copy is by using the Time/Date Stamp on the Metabase.bin.bak file.